Peyronie’s Disease is a condition associated with scarring of the elastic covering around the erectile tissue in the penis. This can cause penile curvature, pain to both the male patient and his partner, sexual dysfunction, and sometimes erectile dysfunction. Peyronie’s disease can make your quality of life worse. Over 75 out of 100 men with Peyronie’s disease are stressed and depressed because of it. Unfortunately, many men with Peyronie’s disease are embarrassed and choose to suffer in silence rather than get help.
Signs & Symptoms
Peyronie’s disease is thought to happen in about 6 out of 100 men between the ages of 40 and 70. It’s rare in young men, but has been seen in men in their 30s.
Common signs that you may have Peyronie’s disease are:
- Bent/curved penis
- Lumps in the penis
- Painful erections
- Soft erections
- Having trouble with sex because of a bent or curved penis
Diagnosis & Treatment
Initial Diagnostic Testing:
- History and Physical
- SHIM questionnaire (evaluates for coexisting erectile dysfunction)
- Pharmacologic erection and exam
- Medication causes an erection and allow examination of penile curvature
- Penile Doppler Ultrasound testing
- Evaluates for calcified penile plaques or masses
- Evaluates blood flow and coexisting erectile dysfunction that may be present (arterial insufficiency and venous leak)
- Helps in Surgical and treatment planning
No single treatment has proven effective in all men with Peyronie’s disease. Because the plaque can disappear on its own, a period of conservative management or observation is usually tried first. After the pain has resolved and the curvature has stabilized then can be considered. This may take up to 6 months.
Click here for more information.